Expertise / LOC / Claims, Disputes & Litigations / Port
We provide expert services relating to ports & terminals
Studies and assessments : We can undertake studies and assessments to evaluate options, determine feasibility and assess operations and methodologies for a wide variety of subjects relating to port operations and navigational issues within the port.
Technical evaluations: We can prepare tender documents, evaluate bids and provide technical input into the contract documentation for the repairs to damaged port and harbour structures and facilities.
Loss prevention :Our multi-disciplined technical staff have a broad range of marine expertise and knowledge of risk management and safety practices and procedures. This capability is significantly enhanced by our marine casualty investigation and consultancy experience, which provides a unique perspective on the risks and consequences of potential and actual failures in engineering, procedures and management systems. Our capabilities in HSE and loss prevention include:
- Pre-insurance risk surveys
- JH 143 builders risk surveys
- Risk and safety audits of construction and repair facilities and port operations
- HAZOPs, HAZIDs, FMEAs
- Navigational risk assessment
- Operational readiness audits and reviews
Third party verification: In addition to offering planning, design and analytical services of our own, we are also able to undertake third party verifications of designs, plans, analyses, procedures and methodologies produced or proposed by others.
Management and supervision of repairs: Many port and terminal operators do not have the staff or experience to manage and supervise repairs to their facilities arising as a result of an unexpected incident.
LOC’s civil engineers, supported by personnel of other technical disciplines, have accumulated unprecedented experience in the investigation and resolution of damages to port and terminal structures including quays, docks, jetties, breakwaters, locks, bridges and causeways, submarine pipelines and fixed and floating offshore oil platforms, as well as cargo handling equipment such as cranes, ship loaders, conveyors, loading arms, etc.
Key areas of expertise with port casualties include:
- Evaluation of the cause, nature and extent of damages
- Organizing and supervising underwater survey inspections
- Repair methodologies and repair costs
- Alternative temporary repair options
- Assessment and advice on consequential losses
- Sourcing of specialised second hand equipment to reduce long lead times on ordering new replacement items
- Organizing and managing repairs, including preparation of tender documentation, bid evaluation and contract supervision
LOC is very experienced in dealing with P&I and H&M clubs and their legal representatives. We can support and advise port operators during the initial negotiations with the vessel’s interests. This may include an assessment of the extent of damage and provision of an estimate of the costs of repairs for the purpose of negotiating security from the vessels interests.
Our goal is always to protect our clients’ interests and to minimise their financial losses.